Friday, August 9, 2013

Frustrate Me Friday: Annoyance #19 Republicans vs. Democrats

Republicans who think I only vote Democrat because I don't know any better. ( I respect your decision, so respect mine!)

Okay, for the longest time I didn't want to admit I was a democrat. I always considered myself to be one of those undecided voters that the candidates always covet.




But year after election year, it never failed, I ended up voting democrat.

I even once found myself intensely reading the positions of each side, trying to find a reason to finally vote republican... 

                                   there were none.

Now, that is not to say that I think republican voters are wrong and democratic voters are right, it is just to say I have my personal opinion and it just so happens to swing to the left.

That is why it irritates me when republicans (especially black republicans) assume black people and/or woman vote republican because they just don't know any better.




That is such an insult. (As is the above bumper sticker)

Fox News interviewed about 50 black republicans, and one thing they consistently said in one way or another was "I just wish black people would read the policies, instead of just voting how they think they are supposed to vote." Basically, in other words, they are saying that black folks vote democrat because they don't know any better.

WTF??


I remember googling "Reasons I'm a black republican", because I wanted someone to make me reconsider my position. When Pres. Obama was running for the white house, I wanted to make 100% sure I wasn't just voting for him because he was black, but rather because he was indeed the best candidate.




Well, I came up with some really stupid answers to why people chose to be republican. One reason I consistently came across was the thought that because Abraham Lincoln was a republicans and he freed the slaves, therefore black folks should vote republican.




Uhm, yeah...  (No!)




First off, you voting for a party just because they happened to do one nice thing a really LONG LONG time ago is actually doing exactly what you are accusing others of doing, voting a certain way because you think that is what you are supposed to do....




Secondly, it is widely known, (or should be widely known but most likely isn't taught in text books), that Lincoln didn't want to free the slaves. He is actually quoted as saying in a letter dated August 22, 1862 

"If I could save the Union without freeing any slave I would do it, and if I could save it by freeing all the slaves I would do it; and if I could save it by freeing some and leaving others alone I would also do that. What I do about slavery, and the colored race, I do because I believe it helps to save the Union; and what I forbear, I forbear because I do not believe it would help to save the Union."

He also stated during a senate race debate in Charleston, Illinois, on September 18, 1858 \

" I will say then that I am not, nor ever have been, in favor of bringing about in any way the social and political equality of the white and black races,” he continued to say that he opposed blacks having the right to vote, to serve on juries, to hold office and to intermarry with whites. 

Hmm...makes you think doesn't it.




Now I am not saying Democrats are perfect. But they do have the proclivity to be a bit more inclusive and little let pushy and judgemental about their beliefs.

For instance, democrats are more likely to:

Support freedom of religion

Support separation of church and state

Feel that the phrase "all men be created equal" includes women

Vote for marriage equality. 

Support reproductive rights for women

Be less judgemental of someone who is "different".

Republican's are basically, for lack of a better phrase "The Pushy Party".




The things that many democrats stand for, are some of the important things that I look for in a candidate. 

Now, I know the politics game, and that Christian White Males still have a BIG influence on who wins an election, so candidates have to be careful what they say and what they support (bascially play the game until they get into offce). But you can usually see through the guise, by watching who people hang out with, who they support, what they support and what they do with their time, intelligence and money. (of which you have to have a lot of, another things that annoys the hell out of me).




So basically, republicans telling me that the only reason that I, a black woman, vote democrat, is because I am ill informed, uneducated, or basically just don't know any better,  is the ultimate insult to my intelligence.

So basically that just gives me one more reason to vote democrat.

Now I admit, sometimes the democratic party can take the black vote and female vote for granted. But, that isn't enough to make me change my position. Should I vote republican just to teach them a lesson? Why hurt myself in the process of trying to make a point...that's stupid. But that is what a lot of republican want me to do.




I mean no party is perfect. Neither the democratic party nor the republican party (nor the green party or the whatever party) is perfect. But why tout yourself as being better than someone just because they have a different opinion? Unfortunately, and not to be ironic, but I see more republicans touting their greatness over every one else' obviously misinformed poor selves. How elitist is that??

Now, I can totally understand why someone would vote republican. But for some reason, republican's can't understand why I would vote democrat.




But, honestly, I don't need them to understand. All I need is for them to respect me and what I choose to do with my freedoms... 

Even if you don't understand what I'm doing and why, and perhaps don't even agree with it, I still need you to respect it. My decision is my freedom, so stop treating me like a second class citizen.



Note: I had some links of interest, but some of them were so biased I couldn't bring myself to send traffic their way...Ugh!!

I had a lot of fun looking for images for this post. Republican's are hilariously biased and clueless about that bias...

Wasn't sure where to put this particular gem, but thought it was hilarious enough to include....



No comments:

Post a Comment

I enjoy hearing what you have to say, suggestions you'd like to make and links you'd like to share. No spam please and always be respectful!! Thanks